Whole Wheat Pita Instructions
- Defrost the dough ball on the counter 4-6 hours prior to baking. If desired, you can defrost the dough ball in the refrigerator overnight, Dough should be at room temperature.
- Quickly knead the ball a few times and round it to a ball.
- Divide dough ball into 8 pieces. Pull the edges down to form a round crimped at the bottom by your index finger and thumb, then roll into a tight ball.
- Heat a cast iron pan or skillet over medium heat. Using tongs and a paper towel soaked in olive oil, rub the pan with the oil.
- While the pan is heating, dust the top and bottom of a dough ball. Using our hand, press down on the ball to flatten. Turn the dough and keep repeating until the dough is bigger than your hand. Take a rolling pin and proceed to roll the dough out to 1/8″ thick, flipping and turning as you go, dusting the top and bottom, as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Once pan is smoking, add a pita and cook for 30 seconds until small blisters form. Flip and cook 2-3 minutes more until the pita begins to puff. Flip again and manipulate the air pockets using a spatula (a fish spatula works great given the flexibility) to push the air pockets throughout the pita as necessary. Use the spatula to also press down near any visible steam leaks.
- Cool on wire rack.